Did you know about Shawn Rhoden apart from the fact that he won the Mr. Olympia 2018 by pulling off a great upset? Let us have a little more insights into Shawn’s life and career.
It has been a long and painstaking journey for Shawn that led him to the Mr. Olympia title.
First, look at the picture below that Shawn posted on his Instagram earlier. See how incredibly he transformed to have a physique like a Greek god!
“Every time someone told me that I can’t or I won’t succeed I’m reminded of this picture, because I already have. There was a point in my life when I was at my all-time low, I was an alcoholic, I was depressed and I was suicidal after the death of my father. LIFE HAPPENS. I’ve been to hell and back. I drank every day, Papa John’s pizza was on speed dial and little Debbie Twinkie, cupcakes, hoho and honey buns were stack in my nightstand.” ~ Shawn Rhoden
10 Inspiring Facts about Shawn Rhoden
Here are the facts:
- Shawn Rhoden was born in Kingston, Jamaica, Rhoden, but he immigrated to the U.S. in 1990, and lived in Maryland.
- Initially, Shawn was a soccer player in his teens before he took up bodybuilding in 1992, after being inspired by Mr. Universe, Yohnnie Shambourger.
- He went through a tough phase due to alcohol addiction following his father Lloyd’s death in 2002. However, Shawn overcame it with help from his friend Lenore Carroll.
- In 1993, 9 tendons in Shawn’s right hand got snapped in an accident while working out. This injury could’ve put him out of action and ended his progress. However, Shawn did not give up, and against the doctors’ advice, he carried on with his rigorous work out to be a professional bodybuilder.
- In 1999, 2000, and 2001, Shawn competed and lost his class at the NPC Team Universe in. He has competed 40 times on the pro ranks.
- In 2010, Shawn earned his IFBB Pro card after overcoming several injuries that he suffered during his amateur career.
- Shawn secured the second place at the 2016 Mr. Olympia. Earlier he was third at 2012 Mr. Olympia, fourth at 2013 Mr. Olympia and third at both 2014 and 2015 Mr. Olympia.
- His win at the Mr. Olympia is even more special because he battled severe health problems in the earlier part of 2018 that forced him to withdraw from the Arnold Classic in March. It happened due to extreme dehydration, two ulcers, and a serious case of the flu that sent him to the hospital.
- He is the oldest bodybuilder to win the Mr. Olympia title, at the age of 43 years.
- Shawn won a cash prize of $400,000 USD for winning the title in 2018.
These highlights of Shawn Rhoden re-emphasize the fact that life is not always about getting the success you want. It is even more important to bounce back when the chips are down. Coming back from the brink of nowhere needs resilience, focus, and determination. Such inspiring stories are a lesson to us all, about life.
“Life sometimes tosses us a curve ball to show us the way out. What you do with that reset button is totally up to you. Just remember everything in life happens for a reason, in the moment we might not see it. Sometimes these things are meant to make us stronger. Just don’t let anyone pull you down or take your dream away from you because their dreams are not as big as yours. I tell myself this every day.”~ Shawn Rhoden